Friday, December 19, 2008

A Good Grounding...

No, not the boys. Me. I got a good grounding tonight.


I volunteered with members of my Circle, St. Gerard's Circle, at church for the I Am Hope Cafe. It is a cafe run by all volunteer's that provides table service meals for the homeless &/or those in need. I have volunteered there before but let me tell you, there is nothing like being there around Christmas to ground you. It certainly cuts right right through all the commercialism, "gimmees", merchandising, holiday stress & rushing to make it crystal clear what is important.


It was heart-breaking at times to see families who are homeless...there are far more than we are aware of. About 5 minutes before we closed for the night a family with 5 children ranging 2 years to 12 years came in...they had to walk a long time to get there and therefore ran late. We gave them all they could eat and found any little extra things (applesauce, candy canes, etc.) for the children. There were lots of children there tonight and despite their situation, we heard so much happy laughter & delightful little voices.


It is always great to help. That is why I became a Social Worker - if you didn't know that, I went to college/grad school to become a Clinical Social Worker and worked with the chronically mentally ill & homeless before becoming a Mom. I have found the desire to get back to that in some way sneaking into my mind the past few months and if for now I can only do it through volunteering, I am happy to.


We can all use a little reminding, especially with all the holiday busyness that we get caught up in, that material things are fleeting and things can change for any of us in a flash. Hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight and do something for someone else. You never know how that might be just what they needed.