Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Ups & Downs of a Weekend...

Well here it is....Sunday night already. The weekend is winding down and we are ready to tackle a new week. It has been a good weekend overall with only a sprinkling of "downs" - way more "ups"!

We started the weekend with our Friday afternoon at Lithia Springs, which was a great way to cool off & relax. We had a nice movie night on Friday, watching "Stuart Little 2" and snuggling...my favorite thing!

Saturday we had Gymboree (Daddy & Patrick) and karate (Matthew & me) and then it was off to a birthday party for a classmate of Matthew's. That is where the "down" comes in. I am pretty sure the big toe on my left foot is broken. The party for Matthew's classmate was at a bowling alley & this little girl's mother is one that likes to have a HUGE party with every one in town. There were at least 45 children aged 3-7 there. I was trying to guide a group of 5 & 6 y/o boys and was standing near the ball return...I didn't see what happened but a VERY heavy weight bowling ball was knocked from the ball return directly onto my toe. I am powering through - if it is not looking any better tomorrow I will call my podiatrist. How old do I feel that I already "have a podiatrist" to call! Ha! But my toe is swollen about twice its size and is a lovely shade of blue on the bottom & side! I iced and elevated it for a few hours on & off yesterday but we'll just have to wait & see...either way I have decided this was a sign from God. I know there will those who read this & roll their eyes. She's making more of this than there is. Well to those who say that...if I can make something positive out of an otherwise bad event...what does it matter to you? But I have decided this was God's way of telling me to "step back". It was a not very subtle sign but I admit...I usually miss the subtle signs anyway. I have been, admittedly, being a "helicopter parent" lately with Matthew & I have acknowledged that I needed to step back and let him work through things for himself. But I am taking this as God's direction that I really do need to do that. So....thank you, point taken!

Other than that, our Sunday was a great day. We went to church, came home and had a nice big Sunday breakfast. Afterwards we went swimming together, played, read books and then I ran some errands while Patrick napped & Daddy and Matthew watched the Nascar race. Now, the boys are asleep.....Don is asleep....I am working on some little projects. Lunches are prepped. Breakfast is prepped. Dinner for tomorrow night is prepped & partially done. Here's to a nice relaxing night!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, you are quite the planner! Hopefully you can relax and enjoy your night! Sounds like you need it, so that you can keep off that foot! Sorry to hear that it may be broken. OUCH!

Holly said...

Ouch! Hope your toe feels better today!

Debbie said...

I hope you feel better...Did you wrap it for the time being???

Working Mama said...

I did not wrap it...I applied ice & elevated it and I have been wearing sneakers for 2 days (fortunately they fit with the swelling!). I was able to get in to see my podiatrist on Wednesday - unfortunately that's the soonest but I'd rather see the podiatrist than just a PCP or someone who doesn't specialize. I have read about the big toe needing medical treatment more often than the smaller toes when broken & that most ERs, PCPs or clinics will dismiss a broken toe but it can lead to real problems since it stabilizes the foot much more than the other toes! Do you think I should wrap it???

Melodie said...

And I thought the foot injury was a sign from God to avoid bowling alleys! Maybe it was a two in one sign?

I hope your toe feels better soon, and I hope your podiatrist can fix it for you. Good luck!

Debbie said...

I think wrapping it cannot help...Just to get the extra support from the toe the injured one is taped to....Honestly, tapin git cannot hurt it and just give the extra assurance that if you find you need to use the toe, the other one will take more of the brunt or at least, equalize it...

Working Mama said...

That's a good point - I had thought that because it was the big toe, wrapping wouldn't help but it is a good point...let it get some help. I did get an appt with my podiatrist for Wed, unfortunately not before but that's fine at this point. I will wrap until then!

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

I've been thinking of you, lately. Sorry, to hear about that toe. I hope you're staying off your feet.

Now, about that sign, you better believe it was a huge message from up above. I'm one to miss the subtle signs, too. So, take this opportunity to relax when the kids are at school and tend to yourself. Last year, my sign came to me in the form of hospitalization for exhaustion and anxiety, which resulted in bed rest for two months. I was working, pregnant with Nina, and Noel had started commuting weekly to Georgia. Ay, yay, yay!

Needless to say, after the hospital stay, I no longer work outside the home. So, take it easy, okay!!!