Friday, August 8, 2008

We're As Ready As Ready Can Be...

11 days until the BIG day. First day of Kindergarten. We are ready. Matthew is excited & nervous. I am excited, nervous & biting back swells of tears everyday in private...thank God for my closet so I have ONE place to breakdown in private. But I am mostly excited. I always loved the start of the new school year and the chance to start over new. So I am excited for Matthew to get that also.

All school supplies have been purchased & sitting here for a few weeks.

The lead-free lunch boxes & bph-free containers are washed & ready (could you even have imagined you'd be having to say "lead-free" & "bph-free" about your kids lunch one day?)

The list of lunch ideas is posted.

The fridge & pantry are stocked.

The uniforms are hanging in the closet.

Shiny new sneakers have been taken out of their boxes.

We have practiced opening & closing belts and tucking in our shirts (since that is required).

We have talked about how our morning routine will be the same as last year.

We have talked about all the things he "knows" about what school will be like to offset the "unknowns" that are making him a tad nervous.

We have hugged, snuggled, kissed.

O.k., I thought I was ready until I just wrote that. My eyes are ever so slightly welling up. I will do my best to not fall apart until after I have left him in his classroom & made it back to my truck. There is a parent's mass & breakfast after drop off so I have to keep it together for that.

Here are our supplies






Here are some of his uniforms






Here is the valium I will take that day

NO, just kidding! LOL!

I know he's going to blossom. He loves learning and I know we'll all adjust and it will be fine. This is just the biggest milestone we've come to since walking or turning 1. Everything else seemed to ease in but this seems much more life-changing. That is not a bad thing...change can be good...but, it is a big change & it means he is moving toward that eventual day he'll leave the nest. I know I sound wacko (probably especially to any men who might read this) but the past 5+ years have gone by in a blink...I'd be fooling myself if I didn't expect the next 13 (yes..JUST 13 more years!) to fly by too.


O.k., now that I've thoroughly depressed everyone....have a GREAT day! LOL!

2 comments:

Melodie said...

Matthew's going to do great, and you'll probably be okay, too.

I can't believe those uniforms! Such a variety. Khaki shorts? Boy things sure have changed since I went to school there!

Karlise said...

I'm right there with you Andrea!!!