Friday, August 1, 2008
School Lunches...
So I was wondering about those of you that pack your kids lunch. What do you pack? I need some ideas to expand our usual routine at home and now that we are starting school I don't want to burn my son out on PBJ. I do draw the line at "lunchables" & pre-packaged "meals". I can make anything from scratch but I am just having a funk-inspired brain fog when it comes to thinking up a lunch idea list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sarah and Emily always liked taking salads for lunch. Sarah also used to like to take her own version of chips & salsa - she would pack a container of salsa and take some torilla's with her and then tear off pieces to dip in the salsa.
Another idea I've seen a lot of is wraps instead of sandwiches.
Definitely stay away from those lunchables - they are SO unhealthy.
I make my own verison of a lunchable...First, the whole wheat Ritz crackers or the wheat thins are big fav's in my house...Jillian loves turkey, so I would give her turkey or turkey salad and a slice of cheese. I found that it is cheaper to let Elizabeth buy her lunch, which in the public school system, a healthy one. Her lunches were $1.75 and it gave her a sense of a little independence. $$$ is put in an account (payable on-line) and I was able to track everyday, what she was eating. With Jillian going to school 3 days, I did lunches for 3 days and let her buy lunch to other 2.
A nice fruit salad with a string cheese was perfect for Elizabeth. Her lunch was at 10:05, not a great lunchtime at all, and she would usually have a 1/2 of a sandwich or something light as soon as she came home....
You say lunchables and I laugh. Jillian asked for a lunchable for breakfast the other day. I have no idea where that came from, but I made her a breakable (my version of a breakfast lunchable). This consisted of a granola bar, applesauce and colorful rice krispie type cereal. She loved it!
Other than pb&j, I've send Logan with leftover pizza, veggie corndogs or veggie nuggets, chicken nuggets, thermos of spaghetti O's (organic brand) and he usually has some kind of snack to go with it like pretzels, raisins, fruit bar, etc.
Post a Comment