Monday, August 25, 2008

School Days...

We had our first big Home & School Meeting tonight at Matthew's school. We don't have PTAs...quite honestly I don't even know how a PTA works! This is what we have - it's the faculty giving us updates on what improvements have been made (based on parents' input of what they wanted to see changed/improved last year), what is coming up, updates on our campaign to raise funds to build a gym, etc. Then each class has 30 minute presentations on what the year they will be working on this year...what the goals are for the end of the year, what is coming up, how the kids have been adjusting, detailed schedules of their day & weekly schedules of their Core Classes,etc. etc.

My baby is a BIG KID! He is taking Spanish twice a week, Art, Music, Technology Lab - each once a week, P.E. twice a week, off to the Library once a week. They'll have their first All School Mass of the school year on Wednesday...that's nothing new since we go to Mass regularly but it's all 750 students - that's a lot! He's already been working on a LOT in just 4 days of school! Their first homework will come home this Friday! They'll also start cooking in their classes this Friday too! They'll be selecting a class service project in the next month that they'll work on all year long. I want to go back to Kindergarten! It sounds waaaay better than I remember!

He is doing great and he loves it. That is the most important thing of all!

1 comment:

Melodie said...

Things sure have changed since I was in kindergarten! Of course, back then, they only had half-day kindergarten at the school, and the kindergarteners didn't have to wear uniforms either. Other than a couple of field trips, I really don't remember much about it, probably because it was only a few hours a day. I do know, though, that we did NOT have Spanish classes (in any of the grades back then).