Friday, July 25, 2008

Soon To Be New Post...

Yes, I did promise you guys a new post and I apologize I don't have a big one for today. I promise I'll work on what I owe you tomorrow. As previously mentioned, my friend for 30 years (wow!), Todd, has stayed with us for a few days to escape the chaos of his own family. His grandfather passed away about 10 days ago. Well today was the day I (unfortunately) had to take him back over to New Port Richey (about 1-1/4 hour drive). Just before we got ready to head out he got a call that his grandmother had a stroke sometime over night & was just taken by ambulance to the hospital. I feel so badly for Todd. I feel awful for his grandmother & all the other family members too...don't get me wrong. But Todd is the one every member of his family leans on & they have a way of sucking him dry, putting him in the position of being the decision maker/whipping boy/keeper of secrets, etc. So just as he was emotionally recouping, the news of his grandmother came in & it is really taking its toll on him.

We did manage to make the best of the day - at one point we found out his grandmother was stable & they were doing tests of nothing he could do at the hospital...so...we went to a great park on the river in New Port Richey and the boys played & we had lunch al fresco & chatted "as if" we hadn't a care in the world. Then we dropped Todd off and headed back to Brandon, just barely missing the rush hour grind.

The exciting news is that Matthew had a belt test in karate tonight at 7pm and he earned his purple belt! He did a great job & is very proud of himself (as are we). I'll have some pics posted this weekend of that & I'll get back to the details of last weekend & those pics also.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Congratulations to Matthew on his Purple Belt! He is doing awesome and is moving up quickly...Good for him...and of course, you guys...the proud cheering squad!!!

Sorry to hear about your friend's grandmother....Thankfully, she is stable and hope her results come quickly and clean

Melodie said...

I hope every turns out okay for Todd's grandmother. It was really nice to meet him yesterday, and he seemed really nice. I'm glad you were able to give him a little bit of a break.

That's really great news for Matthew! Tell him we said, "Congratulations!"