Saturday, May 3, 2008

O.k., Round Two...

So we saw one of the doctors at Dr. Nadal's office today - it was nice actually, they do weekend rotation with our pedi and it was easy to get in & really no wait. Regular co-pay too vs. the urgent care co-pay so saving $30 was nice.

Patrick was better once he was up - still a bad cough...that hacking still there but not wheezy or barking any more. It seems that laying down is just the problem but also just evening in general since he really laid vertical on me in the glider and was still having trouble with fits of that cough. Anyway we saw Dr. Ong and she said although he didn't sound wheezy or like he has having a hard time breathing to her - his pulse was 210! I didn't know children's pulses run higher than adults do anyway but it was definitely fast and he wasn't acting nervous, etc. She said they generally expect viral bugs to clear up in 2 weeks and a cough may linger but otherwise they expect to see improvement. Well she said since he has had this cough twice - they are considering the cough in 2 episodes now...one prior to us seeing our pedi and getting the antibiotic and the second after we saw improvement & then the cough returned. So since it has been over 2 weeks on this second episode of the cough and now he's added the congestion & huge coughing fits & gagging up that vomit/phelgm mix...she strongly recommended a stronger dose of antibiotic. She said otherwise this is likely to turn into bronchitis, sinusitis, or even develop into pneumonia. She didn't recommend any breathing treatments since he wasn't wheezing so we'll see how he does. I really hope he can sleep tonight because I have a kink in my neck from sleeping with him in the glider & I am really tired too. But we Mommies do what we must....sleep is highly over rated! LOL!

3 comments:

Melodie said...

I hope Patrick gets better soon.

Katie has what Sarah has, but not as bad yet. SHe got a shot this morning, so hopefully she'll be getting better soon, too.

Scarlett said...

Just a suggestion, Andrea... When Hayden has croup last fall, his doctor said that just as running a steamy shower and sitting in the bathroom will help loosen things up, standing in front of the freezer with the door open might help too. I think the temperature change along with the humidity helps. Just thought I'd pass that along. Not sure if you would have luck with that, but you could try it so you don't have to sit in the bathroom for so long. Hope Tick Tick feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Poor Patrick! And to think I wiped his nose a few times on Friday!! LOL

Hopefully you'll get a better nights sleep tonight and Patrick will be on the mend!