Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Playroom is Closed

Well today I did the unthinkable (at least in 5 year old land)...I "closed" the playroom. That means it is not open for business....off limits....no way....no how.



What would bring an otherwise (most of the time) level-headed Mommy to do such a thing?


















This might not look that bad in a photo...but it is a disaster. That wasn't even the topper on the cake. I said "o.k., let's work together and clean up". Then I got a "purely-for-attention" tantrum as a response.


So what did I do? I calmly said "o.k., come out of the room" and I closed the door. That led to a hissy fit and over the top drama but the Zen master in me remained calm, took Matthew outside, sat him down and as "nice as pie" as I could told him every member of this household will help clean up and that Mommy is not anyone's maid. The playroom is closed and he didn't even ask for how long. I told him that I understood he was angry but he has to show responsibility and respect for his belongings.


What did I want to do? Ring his little neck! No, I wouldn't actually do that! But I can tell you, nothing gets my goat like a fresh attitude from a little one - he sure does have gusto. I keep reminding myself that although I'm not going to let him talk to us in a rude/fresh way...he's passionate, not afraid to show his emotions...these are wonderful qualities in a grown man...let's hope we can channel them for good!!

He has accepted the consequences fairly well so far. He put his laundry away after that with no attitude. I don't know what got into him - cleaning up is rarely a huge ordeal...especially when they are getting help with it. We clean up every day. We'll just nip this in the bud.

5 comments:

Melodie said...

That room surely was a disaster considering that it was cleaner than that after there were three toddlers playing in there with Matthew the other day when I was there. He must have been having a bad day since he's usually so well behaved.
Hopefully he learned his lesson and will remember it in the future.
You're such a good mother. I don't know if I could have been as zen as you were.

Working Mama said...

I hope everyone realizes I was totally joking about "the zen master in me"! It seems I have generally lost any ability to stay calm - that must have been removed with my ovaries & tubes! LOL! I was shocked by my calm - must be all that green tea I'm drinking! LOL
Andrea

Karen said...

Good luck with the attitude. We had problems with Shawn when he was 4 and still do every once in a while but most of the time he'll listen to reason.

Debbie said...

I couldn't help myself but to comment. Elizabeth was a great picker upper until about 4 or 5. Now almost 6, she's gone back to listening and for the most part, it doesn't take me 3 or 4 times to say, please cleanup...But have just crossed the fence back to the other side, The tantrums the freakin' attitude, was horrible...Now I am dealing with Jillian at 3-1/2 that again, always listened and would help clean up her stuff turning into saying no, ignoring me, etc. Elizabeth plays the devils advocate and I think she wants to "shine like an angel" and offers to do it when Jilly refuses...Its a vicious cycle....With Elizabeth, I believe that she was stuck in between the whole idea of being the "Big Girl" and thinking that she can be laxed in certain areas.....But it wasn't easy to deal with it, that's for sure!!!

Debbie said...

P.S. Let me just add that with E, there is a whole other attitude to replace the old one..:)