Sunday, April 6, 2008

Extreme Home Makeover: 5 Year Old Edition

The "re-do" has commenced in Matthew's room. The blue tape was unrolled. The paint can was cracked open and brushes & rollers were warmed up. A whole new room awaits my 5 year old. Now, granted...I'm not promising anything as exciting as what Ty Pennington comes up with........and I'm not doing the "locking myself in this room until it's completed" thing. But a lot of big changes are going to happen for Matthew this year...he's a BIG kid now...Kindergarten looms in the distance. I think a smashing new room is in order. (Yes, maybe it's the parents' way of masking their sadness & anxiety over all this BIG kid stuff...but you just keep that to yourselves!)





Matthew got to apply the first brush strokes (actually we needed to paint over this hand-painted cat on Matthew's wall that was his favorite thing when he was 1-1/2 years..Don didn't have the heart to do it...so, he let Matthew do it!). Matthew spent most of the rest of the painting time sitting & watching his Nascar race & very disappointed his guy was out of the race!





I will say I never thought we'd have a blue room - especially a blue "boy's" room. Although I LOVE blue, it always seemed so cliche...but it is Matthew's favorite color and really works with the whole science/space/racing/dinosaur thing he has going on! I think it is a really pretty color blue. Sometimes photos don't show color accurately but it is the color of broken-in denim --not faded but slightly broken in. It pops so much nicer than the green did - the green doesn't look too bad in photos but it has NOT worn well!


The painting should be done by next weekend - all depends on how early Don gets home during the week. There is new bedding, GREAT artwork for the walls, the desk is there but I haven't put the new fabric on the seat of the chair yet. It is coming together


Don't you JUST love a new project! Oh & I get to deep clean the baseboards since we had to wipe them down before taping & then of course clean them up afterwards! I still have to take all the "little" kid stuff down from the crown moulding shelf that goes around the room and dust & re-do that....then the Spring Cleaning Fairy will be happy!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks very nice...Matthew is going to love his "Big Boy" room....I've seen the demin blue before and its a wonderful color....But it is so sad when our little ones grow up....too fast!!!

jennifer said...

Looks great Andrea. Nothing like a blue room. I have two of them

Melodie said...

Nice work! I don't know how it looks "in real life," but that blue looks really pretty in the pics.

Heather said...

I love the color! I wish a spring cleaning fairy would come paint my house. LOL!

Scarlett said...

I love it!!! I can't tell for certain, but it looks very close to the color of Hayden's room. I like his little high shelf too - very nice! I know it was already there, but I like it!