Monday, April 21, 2008
I Almost Feel Guilty!
Hey, I "almost" feel guilty - no, I didn't do something awful (well, in a 5 year old's world...maybe I did). We are trying new foods each week and tonight we tried Spaghetti Squash. If you do not know, this is a vegetable...a member of the winter squash family. The funny thing about it is that when you roast it and cut it open, the flesh inside comes out like spaghetti noodles but half the length. So we tried it - my "Organic Cook's Bible" recommended making a fresh tomato, olive oil, garlic & basil sauce to top it. I did just like if I was making pasta. Now truth be told...I did leave out the "squash" part when I told them what we were having for dinner. I just said "flank steak & spaghetti...(pause)". Regardless,can you believe they ate it ...not one comment & even had second helpings? We had grassfed flank steak with it...they were probably wondering "did she forget the veggies?" but if only they knew! Just had to share! Oh & if you wanted to know what it tasted like - well, my boys are used to having pasta made from alternative grains (other than semalina) so it was somewhere between rice noodles & quinoa (without the stickiness quinoa gets).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love it that they didn't even notice! I have a hard enough time getting Hayden to eat spaghetti with sauce on it (he only eats it plain, maybe with a little butter), but maybe one day I will try doing the spaghetti squash. Or if he refuses, maybe I'll put some butter on the squash! LOL!
That's great! I wish I weren't so picky, or I could try these types of things out with my kids.
We love the spaghetti squash. I especially love it when it gets a little caramelized while I'm roasting it. We just eat it like spaghetti too. It's great!
ooo I'm going to have to try that recipe.
Post a Comment