I cleaned out our pantry today - not just re-organizing & cleaning (as I usually do) but took out items and really looked at what we had and thought about each product. I separated out a lot to donate, some to pitch and then took what was left and re-organized it into baskets. I visited a friend recently and she had the same wire shelf pantry system and had used baskets to corral categories of foods in her pantry. She said it helped her if she could just take out the basket of canned foods and find something - much easier than moving all the cans to find the right one. So that is what I did.
I also evaluated all the plastic storage we've gotten in the habit of using and it's a scary thought. We had a lot of the plastics that are considered not safe or questionably safe. My husband would re-use those big plastic OJ jugs for water and they are only recommended as a one time use product. Some of the storage containers for our flour and baking ingredients are polycarbonate or polysterine. I had no idea. So I guess it is back to stainless and glass!
Another change is I am officially committing to using eco-friendly bags for shopping. I have a few Target re-usable shopping bags (although I noticed on the tag they are polypropylene!!! LOL!) and I am vowing to not bring any bags home from the store - not grocery, not mall shopping, not Target! Let's see how I do!
We are going on a cleansing protocol to rebalance our internal flora in a few weeks - so no sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no wheat, no smoked/cured meats, no fermented/pickled goods, no corn, no potatoes, etc. etc. We have always eaten fairly healthy, organic but it seems more & more starches and sugar has crept into our lives! I won't bore you guys with the details any further but we are hoping to see healthier changes in us!
5 comments:
The pantry look nice and neat....The organizers are a great idea...I know in my bathroom, I've done that with a few items...But I never thought about the kitchen...I think I have some items that are too big that maybe its laziness, but its just easier to leave as is...But I do love the idea...Maybe a future project...
I have been trying to go greener lately, too. I bought some of those Green Bags at Publix and always use them. I thought about getting some of those Target red bags, also, but the price is a bit higher than the green bags, so I think I'll just buy a few more of those and use them at Target, too.
Last weekend when I worked at the soccer consession stand, I brought home a whole bag full of recyclables because they were just going to throw them in the garbage. They may have thought I was crazy, but I knew it was the right thing to do.
Yay for you! I've been wanting the green bags but I don't really want to advertise for anyone either. I saw them in Publix and thought about buying some since they are only .99 each but having the Publix logo on it turned me off. I know there are some online I could buy but if I remember, they were a little more that .99 each. I should just get over it and buy some green bags from Publix.
Wow! I am IMPRESSED with your pantry. I'm inspired too - I think it's time to clean out ours too, but I am dreading it! Maybe that's something I should do while dh is still off from work...
I'm thinking like Karen...I don't like to advertise for everyone, but I would love to have my own bags too. Maybe one day I'll get as organized as you...I'm truly impressed.
Post a Comment