Tuesday, March 11, 2008

moving day

No, not that kind of moving day....moving stuff around the house.


We are making a shift...a shift towards being even "bigger boys".   We moved Matthew's train table out of his room and into the playroom (makes sense, huh?).


It is bittersweet because Don and I spent so many hours around that train table with Matthew in his room playing Thomas.  Now we'll still be able to do that and now Patrick can join in more.   There were days Patrick would want to play trains but Matthew wanted alone time in his room - that was hard for Patrick.   Matthew has kind of fallen off from playing with Thomas a bit - he isn't willing to "give him up" per se and he definitely DID NOT want the train table moved into Patrick's room...but Thomas has taken the backseat to science and Nascar.  I guess it's harder for me than Matthew - Thomas was SUCH a big part of his being a 2 & 3 & even 4 year old and this means he's really growing up.


So Matthew was a big help and while Patrick slept, Matthew helped me disassemble the tracks and take the drawers and base and top into the playroom.  He helped me clean it all and reassemble it in a new & exciting layout.


Now the table & chairs that were in the playroom are moving into Patrick's bedroom - the train table replaced them.  Next Don has to take the changing table/cabinet out of Patrick's room and he can repurpose it in the garage (It is actually a kitchen island cabinet that he cut in half and bolted to the wall & he made a top for it).  That will give room for the table and chairs in Patrick's room. 


We are updating Matthew's room - we will be painting (I say this in the formal "we"...it is really all Don - LOL!) his room in the next 2 weeks.  Don shot down my idea to do the denim faux finish and I decided not to just "go ahead" and do it regardless in favor of having him help me in what we do do.  New bedding is on backorder and I ordered a matching ottoman for his PB chair, which got moved into the corner that housed the train table.  Don brought Matthew's new desk into his room this past weekend and he is currently painting a chair for him.  Which means I need to get to Joann's for fabric to re-do the cushion.  This will be a homework area fo him....kindergarten is only 5 months away!!!!  I still need to figure out new window treatments but that can wait a bit.  Don is still slowly building new bookshelves for Matthew and I hope that doesn't take as long as the pond!  LOL!


Patrick's room isn't changing much - I really like the color, call me dull but I love the khaki color.  I have bedding for him for when he moves into the toddler bed (which is in the attic) but so far he's shown no interest in climbing out of the crib - so Hallelujah!!!  Matthew climbed out at 22 months...I will take whatever I can get with Patrick - I'm in NO rush to move him. 


My next thing is to work on weeding out the toys so we can make more room in the playroom to keep things tidy.  I am going to work on that over Easter Break hopefully.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I love projects. Sounds like fun.

It must be so bittersweet to watch your babies grow up!

Karen said...

Show us an after picture of Mathew's room. Sounds like he's getting a cool big boy room.