Well...back to the feet again. A few weeks ago I posted how great I was doing after ditching my chiropractor's recommendations (which weren't helping) and doing my own research and investing in shoes & arch supports meant for foot problems. I did get about 60-70% improvement but I was still having some of the pain, though not as intense. I had also noticed how one of the toe joints (the "knuckle" as you might call it) on my other foot was sticking up weird and I hadn't really noticed it before.
So off we went to a new specialist - a podiatrist! What fun! Didn't quite know what to expect from someone who chooses to work with feet all day. Really, other than your own child's sweet little feet...would you really want old, dried up, smelly, problem feet to be how you spend you whole day?? I know I wouldn't. Suprisingly...other than a ridiculous wait to see this doctor - I really liked her.
Now the NEW issue. She says, "yes" it is technically metatarsalgia, but that's just a fancy name for pain in the ball of your foot and NOT the reason. The reason? My second toe (next to the big toe) has a weak joint and is trying to dislocate ...TRYING TO DISLOCATE. What the???? That's what all the pain is from. Apparently I have "pre-dislocation syndrome" and it's hereditary so my Mother likely had it (and I know she had bad feet). You know that "other" toe on the other foot that I said was looking weird?? Well that toe & joint have already dislocated! They just had a "painless dislocation", she said. The only way to fix that one is by surgery but she didn't recommend that unless it gave me significant discomfort.
Now for the one that brought me there - the one TRYING to dislocate. She does feel we can improve it and possibly stop the dislocation. I have to tape up that toe and the joint every day - she showed me how. She wants me to take 2 weeks of a heavy duty anti-inflammatory because the joint is highly inflammed - as you'd expect. Heck, I'm highly inflammed that my damn toe is trying to dislocate! She'll see me in 2 weeks and we'll go from there. She did say the shoes I purchased - especially the Brooks athletic, were EXCELLENT choices and would help give support. She also said continue with NO HEELS for now - which stinks but o.k. I'll do it. Still no running but I can continue to work out.
Getting old sucks.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Who did you go see? I went to a Dr up on Moon near the hospital a few months back and for there being very few patients, it was sure as heck a LONG wait! They were really nice though.
Well, hopefully you can finally get this all taken care of soon. Good luck!
Wow, dislocation. I've never heard of that. I hope it resolves itself without surgery and your pain goes away. If your feet aren't happy, your whole body is unhappy, huh? Makes you miserable. I can only relate your pain to the arthritis I have...not fun. Good luck.
Well at least you have some concrete answers to your pain! Hopefully the taping and anti-inflamatories will fix it all up nicely and you can be on your way again.
Post a Comment