Well I can't help but laugh. I got exactly what I wanted today...my own fault for asking for it! Be careful what you wish for! LOL!
We had our Moms Club "Back To School" party today and had planned to have playground time for the kids first, have our food on the early side and then go to the natural springs there and swim. I had told Matthew we'd spend most of the day there so we could really do some of everything. This morning I had another good look at all I have to do at home & said to my husband..."it would be really great if the rain held off this morning & then at lunch time it rained so we could come home & I could get stuff done!".
That was wish #1.
We had a good time at the party - the boys had so much fun on the playground, they ate and ran around. Then we headed to the springs...once again, the boys had a blast. They dug in the sand. Hunted for shells. Splashed in the water. Just hung out. I was talking to some of the Moms, saying "It would be great if it would rain after lunchtime so we could go home and I could clean. I wish a little storm would roll in in about 30 minutes"
That was wish #2. I guess God was listening.
About 15 minutes later it got slightly overcast....slightly. Then we felt one or two raindrops...light & nothing to worry about. We slowly started to say to the kids "time to wrap up" and get our things picked up. Then out of completely nowhere the skies opened up and it was a torrential downpour! The rain came down in buckets & buckets and then the wind started howling and whipping the rain sideways. I couldn't see because the wind & rain whipped my hair all into my face.
I kid you not...people were running & screaming. The spring emptied out in 10 seconds flat (maybe an exaggeration). Children were running all over. The wind was picking up water off the spring and pushing it up at us. We were drenched to the bone in minutes and it didn't let up. It was like one of those disaster movies. Everyone grabbed all the belongings they could. They all huddled together and staggered up the hill and sometimes let things drop. "I just can't carry anymore!". They'd leave things behind. Whole tables of meals at picnic tables were left and people ran away screaming. You really couldn't help buy laugh. It was so bizarre.
We carried all our stuff, which by the way ended up weighing 50 lbs by the time we go to the car because it all kept absorbing water. I was carrying 3 big beach towels & a big picnic blanket plus the clean change of clothes for us all! We made it to our vehicles and stood under the lifted tailgates trying to keep from getting drenched any further...which is probably not possible as I think we were wetter than we've ever been. Once we got changed into the clean, semi-dry clothes and into the truck we headed home but truly could barely see the rain was so heavy.
We got home & not a drop had fallen in our driveway! You've gotta love Florida! I'm glad God got a good giggle at my expense today. Be careful what you wish for! Lesson learned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My day out was just the opposite. Everywhere we went, we had just missed the rain (nothing falling, but wet grounds). Then, when we finally made it home, it started raining.
Post a Comment