Monday, August 11, 2008

The Mall (Ugh!)....

Have I ever mentioned how much I loved the mall when I was a teen?? Or even "pre-parenthood"??? I loved to shop. I still love the "idea" of shopping and I still love some purchases. It's just that the mall is exhausting to me any more. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "ordeal" or something I "dread". But you all know what I mean. At least one little person in your party doesn't want to go. Or wants to go in the opposite direction. The one who can't walk much wants to walk and the one too big for a stroller wants to ride. This is why our mall trips are few & far between. I go out of necessity or sometimes to torture myself (like today) - LOL!

Oh, it wasn't that bad! We got there before 10:00 because I promised Matthew we'd get one of those double car strollers the mall rents because I knew I was asking a lot of him today with all I had planned. So we arrive at the concierge at 10:00. No, there aren't open until 11:00. Hmmm. Mall opens at 10 but stroller/wheelchair rental, etc. not until 11? O.k., well I guess that's the area they felt they needed to cut back. The security guard was nice enough and filled me in about how Mondays are their slowest day & they'll have more than enough strollers and how strollers have been stolen & that's why I don't see them in the corral...they are apparently kept under lock & key until 11:00.

So we headed to pick up a shirt for Patrick before their 10:30 portrait appt. Tackled that & the portrait appt went off without a hitch...great shots...spent $$$$$ but I'm a portrait gal and got lots of gift portraits for Christmas too anyway.

So after the portraits we head back to the concierge to get the stroller & turn in our Cash 4 Class receipts...double points on Mondays you know! I asked for a stroller and as the lady comes out with it she says..."oh he (Matthew) is too tall for it...you can't have one". End of story. Slams the gate closed and walks away. There are no other customers there and Matthew immediately bursts into tears. Then I see the sign on the other side of the stroller corral and he is about 1" too tall according to the sign. Well, when Patrick sees Matthew in tears, he immediately bursts into tears. So two crying children. The lady looked at me and just turned away. That is cold. So we got Patrick's little umbrella stroller out of the truck and headed to Build-A-Bear (as planned) as I'm talking to Matthew and helping him see things differently. Matthew had a ball in Build-A-Bear and recovered quite nicely. He stuffed a dinosaur and named him Danny Eric (no idea where that name came from!! LOL).

So then we had our lunch at California Pizza Kitchen and finished up our shopping for what Daddy needed, what Patrick needed and didn't have much luck for what Mommy needed. By this time Mommy could care less what she needed & just wanted to get the heck out of Dodge! By the time we got home I realized we had been at the mall for over 4 hours. Those boys were angels for being in the mall that long. That is the reason we so rarely go...when we do go I lump all our needs into that trip and we are there a L-O-N-G time. I am exhausted by then and don't want to even see the mall again for months! I really need to go back alone though & look for the few things I need & be able to try them on in peace.

5 comments:

Heather said...

What, you want "peace" to try things on? What's that? LOL.

Are you able to share your pics? I'm still trying to figure out how.

Working Mama said...

They can't be viewed until after close of business day...so I guess late tonight or tomorrow morn.

Working Mama said...

Yeah, "peace"...what AM I thinking?! When I'm dreaming I get to try clothes on in peace without saying "will you stop that!?" and "shhhh". LOL!

Karen said...

I don't even try to try on clothes when I have the kids with me; not even shoes.

I can't believe that woman treated you guys that bad. The least she could have done was to give them balloons to make them feel better.

Melodie said...

That woman seems a bit rude to be working at a customer service kiosk. If it were me, I'd be thinking about writing a letter to her boss.

Maybe Matthew got the name Danny from Danny and the Dinosaur? As for Eric, your guess is as good as mine. ...Unless my little brother made a huge impression on him Saturday.

When Sarah and Emily were little, I'd just buy stuff and try it on at home. If it didn't fit or look right, I'd take it back. Of course, these days stores have much more strict return policies with limits on how many returns you can have per month/year, so I don't do that any more.