Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Author: Part I

Well, I have a little author on my hands...not that it's a shocker with the voracity he goes through books, his interest in learning & his imagination. Matthew really enjoys a series of chapter books, The Magic Tree House, and he has now decided to write his own Magic Tree House volume. Despite the series having about 41 books published, he has decided (in true Matthew style) to number his volume #88. Why? I have no earthly idea other than he likes that number. I know it's Dale Earnhart Jr's number but I don't think that is the reason.

I have been drafted to participate in the think-tank and brainstorm on the book. Matthew is completely writing & illustrating it on his own though. My proofreading skills have been requested but they have been greeted with disdain. Boy, authors are touchy! LOL!

Today was the first writing & illustration session. Matthew finished the cover & was already to start the "table of contents" page when I explained that we should really focus on the actual story so we know what goes on the contents page. "ohhhh" he said. He has the plot sketched out. He came up with the riddle the characters must solve and of course, he included some trouble that they get into. He even got through writing part of the first chapter. I think this will give him a great deal of appreciation for actual authors & the work that goes into writing a book!!

I will let you know of any local book signings & release dates when I get that info. LOL!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Andrea,

I know you don't know me. I'm a childhood friend of one of the moms in your Mom's Group, Karlise. I was perusing through some of the blogs and just read yours about your son writing his book. I thought you might be interested in this website www.blurb.com . You can publish your own books there. It might be really nice to have your son's book created into a real hard bound book. Just an idea! Enjoy!

Take care,
Nicole Champion Grillo

Working Mama said...

thanks Nicole!

Melodie said...

Can I get an autographed copy when he gets published?

Karen said...

I hope we get to read his final copy. I can't wait!

Debbie said...

What a fabulous interest and hobby to have....I hope he continues to be excited about writing. From what it sounds like, he's already there!

Scarlett said...

That's so neat! Hayden has just started on the first book in the series. I got it for him because it was something about dinosaurs, so I thought it would catch his attention. I can't wait to see Matthew's version!