Friday, May 2, 2008

The Verdict Is In...

Patrick's cough turned really nasty this afternoon - wheezy, congested, hoarse sounding, nasty stuff coming out of his nose...yuck! Kind of happened out of no where after his afternoon nap. Put me in that stinkin' position....couldn't get into our pedi since it was afternoon so do we wait it out or go to the dreaded After Hours Pedi???? It's not a horrible place, it certainly serves a purpose...I just have had enough bad experiences. BUT...in the spirit of not wanting my baby to go all weekend with who knows what.....we went. Shockingly we were in & out in just under an hour. Yes, I had to pay that honkin' co-pay but it was peace of mind. He just has a bad cold! Although I'm sorry he does...I am happy that is all it is! I guess he's just been brewing a mild viral thing for a few weeks and it finally popped. No meds - yeah! Just TLC and the usual cold cocktail (saline nose drops, vapor rub, humidifier). After a friend's little girl had pneumonia, I was happy to hear his wasn't!

Addendum...I realize just because "they said" it wasn't more doesn't mean it isn't. I sure don't have a super high level of trust with them so I still will be watching him & taking him to our regular pedi on Monday if he hasn't changed. Even if they missed something...in some ways I would much rather have my regular pedi prescribe meds then have After Hours do it. My gut still says (as of tonight) it is a cold but we'll see how he is this weekend!

3 comments:

Melodie said...

After Hours Pediatrics told me that Katie just had "something viral" and no signs of infection the last time I took her there when she had a 103 fever. Her regular pediatrician saw her the next morning, and she definitely had an infection and was given strong antibiotics because it was so bad. I'd recommend following up with your pediatrician on Monday if he's not felling better. You know, just for peace of mind.

Working Mama said...

They actually told me that & I generally always have gone to our pedi the next business day after we have seen them. Good point! Since they missed Matthew having an allergic reaction...whose to say they didn't miss Patrick having something bacterial! thanks

Debbie said...

I'm glad that it seems like a cold and for now, you will just treat the cold...I remember that experiences there has not been the best, but hopefully this will put your mind at ease. Something has been going around for months and we are starting again with the coughing and colds...Almost like a full circle....I love the summer warmth, but part of me would wishes for a huge weeklong cold front, to knock all these germs we seem to be experiencing, out of all of us...Hope he feels better and everyone stays well!!