I have really enjoyed having Matthew home on Easter Break this week. The week started out mundane but we have had fun the last couple of days doing things together...fun things, little things, just being together.
We went to the movies yesterday - amid having some still mundane things like Mommy's follow up podiatrist appt - Daddy even got away from work to join us. It was Patrick's 1st trip to a movie & Matthew's 3rd. Honestly they haven't even seen that many "movies" at all - not even at home. "Finding Nemo", "March of the Penguins", "Jungle Book", "Monsters Inc" and maybe "Polar Express" are all Matthew has seen ever. They may watch 2 hours a week of t.v. at the maximum - I am really proud of how we've pretty much eliminated it from their daily lives. Anyway, I digress...we had a super fun time and it was a great mid-week, mid-day treat!
This morning we had a nice trip to the zoo with Ms. Karen & Joshua - poor Joshua got dragged along by Matthew. He was happy to have someone else under his reign! This afternoon a friend of Matthew's from school came over to play for a few hours and they got lots of boy energy out rough-housing. We stayed outside and played in the sand and ran around for a few more hours enjoying the lazy long sunshine and came in for a tub about 6:00. We threw together mini-pizza bagels for dinner with some fresh veggies and called it a night! We snuggled. We read. We goofed off without worrying too much about the time!
I really look forward to the summer (& dread it at the same time) - it marks a big milestone for us. Matthew will start kindergarten and will be officially wrapped into a full day school schedule. I look forward to lazy days like this where we can snuggle, read, play and have fun before the reality of school hits us. It is really hard for me to accept school coming - I know he'll have a ball and I am excited for him but it is still hard for me. I don't want to lose him to school. I want him to perpetually stay "just" on the brink of starting school. Yes, I'll have a full year to give Patrick his justly deserved one on one time before he, too, heads off to preschool. Not being able to have more children makes me feel like I'm going to miss my only chances to experience things way too fast. I always feel like there is a countdown clock ticking away the time I have left with them before they are off on their own....or even worse, before the day they want no affection, not to be seen with me. O.k., enough doom & gloom. I really, REALLY am looking forward to spending the summer with my amazing 5 year old and my awesome 2 year old and having a blast. This vacation was a small taste of that!
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad you're enjoying it, Andrea. They grow up way too fast, that's for sure. I thank God every day that Hayden still lets me hug and kiss him goodbye at school, because I know one day he'll push me away and I really dread that. I try to remind myself of these things every night when Hayden ends up in our bed - it's frustrating sometimes, but he won't always want to do those things.
Since I've already lived through having to send Sarah and Emily off to school, I know to really cherish every moment I have with Katie. Sometimes I have to try really hard to remember that when she's driving me nuts, but I do hold on to even those moments as special ones.
We had fun today Andrea and Joshua loved being dragged around by Mathew. In fact, after falling once, he immediately held up his had for Mathew to grab onto, lol. I'm glad you're enjoying your time together. I sometimes have to try really hard to cherish the time I spend with them, especially when they start fighting over my attention and I feel like a piece of meat, lol.
Post a Comment