Tuesday, February 5, 2008

This Lenten Thing

O.k., I am struggling with what to give up for Lent - as Karen said, I also believe it should be something that is really a sacrifice...I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it? Maybe I won't go into Target for the whole 6 weeks? Or no internet shopping? But is giving up shopping really a sacrifice - I mean, well yes...it's a sacrifice as in ..that's inconvenient...but is it a real sacrifice?? I would feel like the girl right out of "Clueless".."I am TOTALLY like giving up shopping, you know?". I don't know, it feels superficial. What's a real hardship one can give up for Lent? Driving? Well kind of hard in our town. Computer? Well, as Julie said, I use it for bills, finances...sure I could do paper for a 6 weeks but would it really be a big sacrifice? Coffee? Not on your life, buster! T.V.? Well I barely watch any now...maybe 2 or 3 hours a week. Certain foods? Not that there is anything wrong with that (nod to Melodie) but I don't think there is a certain food that I feel SO strongly about that it would be really hard to do (I clearly like ALL food). What do I think I "can't live without"???? My family, my faith, my coffee, connecting with friends, fresh air & sunshine, laughter, freedom (the kind where I can leave my home as well as what my nation provides!), hot showers, comfy beds, shoes. So what's the answer? I have no clue and only 5 hours until D-Day (Ash Wednesday). Tune in to see what I decide!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Good luck! I just figured out what I'm doing. Read my blog to find out.