So the inspiration for my blog name is our "albatross" of a pond...well, some would say small lake. I thought maybe I should explain a brief history of our pond and some pictures of the progress. And NO, that first picture is not my completed pond...ha, ha, ha...it is my neighbor's pond, one I like to visit and it gives me hope! The other pictures are the pond from present to dirt hole.
I remember saying something like "Honey, wouldn't it be great to have a little pond out back when we build our new house?" Trickling water and all that jazz?? We talked about having a couple (notice "couple") of koi swimming in it and enjoying the serenity of the water. Well, fast-forward a few years and my dear husband drew the plans, re-drew them, modified them, consulted other pond owners and didn't dig the hole once, but twice (with a bobcat - which is a small excavating machine...like a giant riding mower that digs). Then the discussion of what kind of liner to put in....and hard surface and overhangs (the fish need some place to hide from predators)....and shelves for plants (don't want the fish digging up your plants roots)....and what kind of waterfall and where and "oh by the way" those boulders for a waterfall this size weigh tons and should have been delivered before the house was built!
For a long time I called it my "blackhole" or I told people who inquired about this big dirt pit, that "a meteor crashed there". It is actually looking more like a pond these days, fortunately for us all. I still don't know when it will be done though I have told my husband I'll be having it filled back in and turned in a flowerbed if it isn't done by this Christmas (I originally gave him until Matthew started Kindergarten but let's face it, he'll use summer as an excuse). April will mark 5 years (yes, I said 5 YEARS!!) since the groundbreaking of this delightful feature. Will there be an end in sight? I will periodically write an update the progress....so tune in!
Just for reference, you might want to know that the pond is 31 feet long and 15 feet wide (not including the structure for the waterfall or the equipment) and holds 8,000 gallons of water. That's hard to overlook out your backdoor for 5 years!
2 comments:
I never realized how big it was. It's like having a 2nd swimming pool!
It's nice to see the progress in the pictures. Good luck on getting it finished it time for Christmas.
Post a Comment