Today we had a special treat. After we finished up at church & I finished volunteering in the nursery (it was my weekend for that), we changed clothes and headed over to Plant City.
Hubby has spent the past 3 months doing a total "gut & rebuild" of a multi-plex movie theatre there and the grand opening was held on Thursday. So today we had the honor of getting hubby to give us a tour of the whole theatre...that includes the 2nd floor projection room where all the movie reels are kept and all the projectors are set up showing films. The reels are HUGE and surprisingly not delicate. The manager was telling me how when they change the reels, the film often gets kicked or stepped on and has to stand up to abuse. I have to say it was pretty cool.
The new theatre (it is a new company that bought the closed down multi-plex) has not gone digital yet - I asked hubby why & he said that technology will cost the company (Premeire Cinemas) $30 million to change 12 multi-plexs over to dvd.
Wow. But it is a beautiful new multi-plex and Matthew enjoyed running up the stairs in every theatre to the top & back down the other side. He loved looking out the projection window just like Curious George too! The last time we were there it was a big black hole...gutted with wiring hanging down and big pits where the stadium seating was going to be built. Did you know the base to that stadium seats is styrofoam? Pretty neat.
We had lunch nearby afterwards and then went back to see "Kung Fu Panda" in the new theatre! The boys had a ball and were so proud that they told people "my Daddy built this, you know". Who knows if they believed him or not! Oh & we didn't even have to stand in line - we had VIP treatment..when the manager saw us in line he opened the door & "you don't stand in line!" and ushered us in for free! Now I need to get hubby to build or renovate a Target and take advantage of that VIP treatment - LOL!
I'll have some pics later from hubby's camera to add
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is so cool Andrea. I didn't even know the theaters were open again. I haven't been there in years.
Post a Comment