Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Down Side of Gluten-Free Baking...

Yes, gee whiz...there IS a down side (in addition to the part about not being able to use any conventional flours, etc.! LOL!). If you are an improvisational chef, like me, baking gluten-free is likened to being told you had to write in Egyptian. The rules are all different - you can't just go with what you know, you can't "wing it" with substituting things you "think" will work. It bites.

I made a batch of muffins last week which I didn't even mention to my family (or here prior to this) that literally looked & tasted like sand & water...maybe I could have called them "beach cakes"? They were horrible and immediately went into the garbage. Now granted, I am dealing with making muffins with NO wheat products, NO gluten, NO refined sugars, NO artificial sweeteners, NO honey, NO cow's milk - clarified butter is considered okay. It just seems that many of the recipes I find use several different kinds of flour in a single recipe - so perhaps garbanzo bean flour, soy flour & almond flour. Or brown rice flour, teff flour & oat flour. It is darn hard to find some of these - so I "thought" perhaps I could substitute one for the other...well clearly that isn't the case. I did find a reference that helps with substitutions but it doesn't cover everything.

I made 2 different recipes today (agave chocolate mini muffins & banana flax muffins) - Matthew claimed he liked them (hey, at least they seemed edible enough that I let him try them!)...so that is some progress. It is really hard adjusting your palate to the tastes but I guess they aren't that bad. I guess after 2 weeks with no sugar/sweet fruits in his diet at all, anything slightly sweet tastes great to him! I'll bring some to Julie's for sampling...they are really good for you & super healthy & low fat at least! Lot's of fiber too!

No comments: